Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ugly

Ugh. My hair is frizzy, my jeans are too tight. I have a big nose. My complexion? Don't even get me started on that topic.

Have you ever had a day like this? A day where you just feel "ugly"? Sometimes when I have ugly days on the outside, my insides get ugly too. I think I look ugly, so I feel ugly, so I act ugly.  That is a lot of ugly.

Seriously though, who makes us believe we are ugly?  Is it the media: TV, magazines, billboards?  Is it in the schools? Where are we picking up these ideals about what is or is not beautiful? Does Hollister make us more beautiful than Walmart brands? Whose vote counts more? Your significant other might think you are the most beautiful person on the planet, while the kid next door rates you a big fat zero on the scale of attractivenesses. Whose opinion matters? And why?

I bet you a million dollars I can find someone who thinks you are the most amazingly beautiful person on the planet. Someone who created you EXACTLY as you are for a reason. Someone who knows everything from the number of hairs on your head to the number of sweat glands in your feet (Hey Focus-you up for a soda chugging contest!?!). In all seriousness, God loves you. God loves all of us-and not because we wear the right clothes or have amazing hair, or hang out with the "right" group of friends.

I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
      Wonderful are your works;
that I know very well.
                      ~Psalm 139:14

We all have ugly days-days where we just don't feel at our best.  I challenge you to remember the above verse on those not-so-pleasant days and look inside yourself for your light.  God's light is inside of all of us and it's beauty outshines even the worst complexion.  When we find that light, and allow it to shine for the world to see, we become a reflection of God.  Now what could possibly be more beautiful than that?!

God is good. All the time. And you are beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment