Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It's A Great Day!

It's a GREAT day!

Yes, I am aware it is pouring outside, and I have a to-do list that is eight miles long, but that doesn't change a thing-It's a GREAT day.

This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it. ~Psalm 118:24

I don't remember when it began exactly, but a while back, I noticed my uncle CONSTANTLY saying, "It's a GREAT day!"  It didn't matter the circumstance: weddings or funerals, bills paid or not enough to make ends meet, sick or healthy...He felt the same.  It's a great day.

At first, most of us just chuckled at him. Some family members got mildly irritated by the always optimistic attitude. Some just ignored the comments altogether. I couldn't let it go. He wasn't just saying those words; he really and truly meant them.

How could someone smile and say what a great day it is while standing in a receiving line at a family member's funeral? I remember saying to him that day, "Not such a great day today, huh?"
Guess what he said? "Are you kidding?! The sun is shining, the family is together, and God has given me another day. Sure, the circumstances aren't the greatest, and obviously I am sad...but that doesn't change the fact that today is a GREAT day."

My outlook on life changed that day. Of course I have crabby days- days where things don't go according to my plan. I still get mad and sad and disappointed and pessimistic...but guess what?

It's a GREAT day. Every day. No matter what.

Tell yourself that. Every morning when you wake up, before you stretch or brush your teeth or eat your breakfast. Whether you slept well or didn't sleep at all-say to yourself, "It's a GREAT day!" Watch how your life changes. It will and you will thank me someday. My uncle Donnie changed my outlook on life, and even on the worst of days (you can ask my husband) I still wake up and say, "It's a Great day!"

God is good. All the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment